Vista has engineered large-scale gas handling systems integrated into one of the province’s largest SAGD developments for a foremost Alberta producer. This project involves a major facility processing 30 MMSCFD of gas each day, requiring an array of gas-handling equipment including:
- Vapour recovery unit (VRU) compressors
- Liquid ring compressors
- H2S scavenger units
- Tie-ins and interconnecting piping
The gas-handling equipment at this facility is integrated into the once-through steam generator (OTSG) process. Vista designed and installed gas sweetening packages to treat all produced gas for use as fuel for the OTSGs.
As the lead EP contractor for this multiphase project, Vista was able to apply key lessons throughout multiple expansion phases, increasing modularization and templated designs. These advantages saved field installation time, reduced total installed costs and provided sparing, operational and maintenance efficiencies.
Key success factors include the following:
- Partnership model approach to long-term relationship with producer; integrated project team able to jointly develop best practices
- Key learnings and efficiencies applied throughout multiple expansion phases
- While Vista’s prime focus with the client was engineering SAGD facilities, the team leveraged Vista’s extensive gas plant experience to ensure smooth project execution
- Dedicated team capable of ramping up to 400+ people as required