Job Title: Lead Process Engineer Job Department: Process EngineeringJob Location: Calgary, AB
What Vista Does
Vista Projects is an integrated industrial engineering firm that helps clients navigate the digital transformation of their projects and operations. Our proven project execution process is based on a “Single source of truth (SSOT) refers to the practice of structuring information models and associated data schema such that every data ele...” model that eliminates the potential for inefficient engineering designs, cost overruns and project completion delays.
Why We Do It
We believe the world needs industrial projects and that intelligent engineering data can increase the likelihood of innovative solutions getting to market. Over the years, our multi-discipline teams have conceptualized and designed some of the most challenging and successful industrial processing projects in the North American energy sector. Vista has established itself as a trusted industrial engineering partner for all types of projects, from conceptual studies and pilots to large-scale commercial expansions.
Where We Work
The benefits of our approach apply to new asset developments and brownfield optimization projects across several industrial markets. This includes biofuels and produced water treatment to natural gas and petrochemical processing. While we are headquartered in Calgary and maintain a satellite office in Houston, most staff elect to telecommute.
What You Would Do in This Role
The Lead Engineer leads a discipline engineering team in the design of different aspects of energy industry projects from inception to completion. Duties include:
- Planning, allocating and reviewing work programs. This includes updating
- ForecastWeb on a weekly basis and ensuring it is suitably completed to align with the demand of the Project/Program Manager. The forecast should be updated to current project plans and changes to work plans/resourcing needs are communicated through change management to project stakeholders.
- Preparing weekly progress reports for each project including work completed, work planned for the following week and discipline needs
- Updating project schedule on a weekly basis including marking tasks which are completed, in progress, and any potential delays. In addition, ensure tasks are listed correctly in schedule. Project schedule along with tracking engineering tasks and deliverables are to be reviewed and maintained in conjunction with Project Management.
- Establishing scopes of work, man-hour estimates, schedules and priorities for projects or proposals
- Scheduling and expediting department work
- Supervising an engineering team involved in the conception, planning and development of engineering design, projects, processes, proposals and estimates
- Providing leadership and mentorship to project/program discipline engineering team; acting as a focal point for expertise and direction on engineering solutions
- Providing guidance in the design and delivery of complex engineering projects within their discipline
- Guiding discipline team on project work through to completion in accordance with the schedule and budget on assigned major projects of high technical complexity
- Assisting in the negotiation of critical engineering issues
- Administering the planning, scheduling, cost control and technical conformance to the design
- Attending status meetings with clients, project management and suppliers
- Coordinating activities with other departments and clients
- Maintaining current knowledge of industry and regulatory standards
- Assigning and reviewing work of discipline engineering staff
- Reviewing vendor or subcontractor quotations, drawings, and specifications for technical adequacy and conformance with project requirements
- Ensuring adherence to Vista Quality Management System (QMS)
- Ensuring design is in accordance with applicable codes and requirements, including Vista and client specifications and standards
- Approving discipline deliverables
- Supporting development, implementation and maintenance of discipline design standards, checklists and procedures
- Actively stewarding change management for their discipline activities and impacts to other discipline activities
- Supporting discipline man-hour estimates for proposals
- Providing construction support
- Authenticating documentation with a professional engineering stamp as required
- Performing other duties as requested
Discipline-Specific Duties and Competencies - Process Engineering
- Applying broad working knowledge of multiple process systems and commonly encountered equipment
- Applying strong working knowledge of process simulation (HYSYS) techniques and stream table development
- Preparing and reviewing deliverables such as PFDs, P&IDs, Line Lists, datasheets, design calculations, etc.
- Applying strong working knowledge of the preparation and review of process studies and design documentation
- Applying strong working knowledge of the preparation and review of line sizing and pipeline hydraulic calculations
- Applying strong working knowledge of the preparation and review of instrument process specification and sizing of in-line devices
- Applying strong working knowledge of the preparation and approval of process design bases
- Ten-plus years of progressive experience in facilities engineering and design in the energy industry
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in engineering or applied science
- Ability to work and collaborate within a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and designers including process, mechanical, civil, structural & architectural, electrical, instrumentation & controls and piping
- P.Eng. registration with APEGA
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, technical competence and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and efficient with time management
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of applicable codes and industry standards
- Ability to meet safety requirements to attend site visits
- 12 years or more of experience as a fully qualified engineer, with five years’ experience in the energy industry
- Three or more years of experience leading an engineering team in an EPC environment
Why People Like Working with Us
Working with Vista is a chance to contribute to the type of challenging municipal and industrial projects that the world requires. If that doesn’t excite you, this role likely won’t be a fit.
Challenging projects require focus and we enable our people to do their best work with modernized project systems that are based on our leading use of intelligent A data-centric outlook is a core concept in digital project execution architecture where data is viewed as the most important and perpetual ... execution architecture. Our staff and clients like that it gives them real-time access to validated data shared across all project departments. This fosters project design and business decisions based on a single, authoritative source of truth and provides increased transparency and collaboration with team members and clients, leading to improved engineering quality and a product we can all take pride in.
What We Offer
An opportunity with Vista is not just a job; it is a chance to tackle challenging projects with colleagues who are among the most recognized and accomplished in their disciplines.
Vista offers all employees
- A stimulating, fast-paced and challenging work environment where you will contribute to the interesting municipal and industrial engineering projects
- A robust and consistent recruitment process that ensures your colleagues are likeminded and comparably capable
- An opportunity to be a part of an entrepreneurial, technically skilled team which has established leadership in innovative engineering solutions
- A strong value-based philosophy that provides an informal, close-knit team environment, where you and your family feel like a part of our organization, and not just an employee number
- Competitive compensation and benefits, including a performance-linked variable pay program
- Company-sponsored social events and team sports
- Flexible work schedules, half-day Fridays and free parking
- An organization that values and encourages diversity
How to Apply
Note: As part of the interview process there will be a technical testing component that will take up to two hours and can be completed at home on your own timeline. Candidates may be required to complete a security clearance procedure prior to receiving an offer.
Last modification: 07/01/2022