Several of the ~90,000 evacuated residents of Fort McMurray have lost their homes and have been separated from friends, loved ones and pets. Get the latest on the out-of-control fire that continues to ravage northern Alberta.
There are many ways that you can help those affected:
- Donate funds to the Red Cross. The Government of Alberta and the Government of Canada are currently matching donations. You can also text REDCROSS to 30333 to automatically make a $5 donation.
- Have some extra space? Visit the Fort McMurray Evacuee Open Source Help Page to offer space to those who need somewhere to sleep, to keep a pet or to store recreational vehicles.
- Donate funds to the Wood Buffalo Food Bank.
- Donate funds to the Fort McMurray SPCA to help reunite displaced residents with their pets.
- Drop off infant essentials to Neighbourlink Calgary.
- Donate funds to the Salvation Army.
- Drop off non-perishable food items to a North Star Ford location in Calgary or Cochrane, who will deliver the items to the firefighters battling the blaze.
- Donate a kennel of any shape or size to the Calgary Humane Society or AARCS.
- Donate non-perishable food items (east pop-up tops preferred), bottled water, diapers and formula to the Calgary Food Bank.
- Have a meal on May 6 at Eighth Avenue Trattoria, Cucina, Ca’puccini Theatre Cafe, Alforno Bakery and Cafe, Vendome Cafe, or Teatro Restaurant. Teatro Group will donate 50% of food sales that day to the Canadian Red Cross.
- Go to ymmhelp.com and offer help in any way that you can.
Please comment below if you know of additional ways for people to help. We will update this post regularly to share the latest information.